The use of plastic products is adversely affecting nature as well as human civilization and wildlife. Currently, it has become a serious environmental concern. Its dominance is present in almost every sector. But people nowadays are very much concerned about the consequences of plastic packaging. This awareness has led retailers to shift the focus from plastic packaging to eco-friendly packaging.
Companies have started to provide unique and innovative packaging for food, beverages, and a wide range of other products. Many companies of different sectors have started to make containers in various forms and sizes which are travel friendly. The disposable coffee cups wholesale business is also gaining popularity among the common masses. Many people love to carry coffee while travelling. Disposable coffee cups have evolved keeping that in mind.
What Is Eco-Friendly Packaging?
Eco-friendly packaging is a type of packaging that is easily recyclable, not harmful to the environment, and safe. The materials used in the packaging are recycle-friendly. This packaging is also known as green or sustainable packaging. The raw materials used and the manufacturing process hardly impact natural resources and energy consumption.
Aims Of Eco-Friendly Packaging
The main aim of eco-friendly packaging are as follows:
- To end the usage of plastic and promote renewable/reusable substances
- To reduce the high expenses related to packaging
- To offer an easy option for recycling packaging
- To eradicate the use of toxic materials and also make it allergen free
- To minimize the quantity of product packaging
- To reduce the amount of carbon footprint
- To dispose of it anywhere without harming the environment
Materials Used For Packaging
- Paper – This can be a suitable option as it is easily available, recyclable, and biodegradable. Today paper packaging is mainly created out of recycled paper.
- Bamboo – Another important environment-friendly packaging alternative is bamboo. Usually, bamboos are highly durable and super strong. Moreover, it can 100% decompose naturally within 2-6 months.
- Wood – Another natural source is wood which is very much biodegradable. Wooden containers serve several purposes. Even wooden gift box manufacturers have reported high demand among customers.
- Compostable Bags – Fully biodegradable and made from GMO-free crops.
- Metals – Metal like steel can be recycled and hence used by many beverage-producing companies
- Bagasse Paper – This paper is created by extracting the juice of sugarcane fibre. It is an eco-friendly material and is food packaging.
- Glass – Despite being non-biodegradable, glass is a recyclable packaging material. Glass bottle wholesale usa market has indeed proven that. Glass bottles are the best options for storing any type of liquid as well as food. Plastics usually contain harmful chemicals like bisphenol A (BPA). The FDA – Food and Drug Administration has already warned about this chemical as they have found a link with cancer. So, glass is the safest option as it is free from harmful chemicals as well as made from natural sources.
Importance Of Eco-Friendly Packaging
The low-graded plastic packaging has a significant effect on the environment from the pre-production to the disposal stage. According to a survey, nearly five trillion plastic bags are used globally. These used plastics finally end up in local waterways or the ocean. So, this is the right time to take action to eradicate single-use or non-biodegradable plastics.
Plastic pollution is not only threatening marine wildlife but also polluting our food chain.
But eco-friendly packaging is the solution to this problem. So plastic manufacturers will have to play a pivotal role in bringing eco-friendly packaging items to the mainstream. Now, industries must come forward to help reduce the plastic pollution growing at an alarming speed.
According to the Sustainable Packaging Coalition, some of the beneficial product packaging are mentioned below:
- It is healthier and safer for human beings and communities throughout the life cycle
- Materials are made up of hygienic and healthy substances
- The entire process of making depend on renewable energy
- Clean production technologies and ethical processes are opted in making the eco-packaging products
- It is also market compatible in terms of cost and performance
Eco-Friendly Packaging Concept
Some of the best green packaging options are :
- Eco-Pouch Packaging – Many companies have introduced pouches as containers. These are simple and customizable. Made from sustainable wood pulp starch, it gets easily decomposed within 85 days.
- Bubble Wrap Packaging – Bubble wraps are manufactured from eco-friendly material and used for wrapping fragile items while travelling.
- Canvas Tote Bags – Tote bags are from jute plant skin and fibres of vegetables. These bags are durable and sturdy. They are ideal for carrying groceries in bulk. Many companies customize these bags and put the brand logo on them.
- Recycled Plastic – This is another good option to replace the traditional low-grade plastics used for carrying mail in bulk or smaller items.
Today, consumers know the value of eco-friendly packaging. The demand for sustainable packaging is rising day by day. Human beings in urban areas are trying to eradicate the use of plastics from their day to day activities. This change is quite significant due to upgrading lifestyle. Even e-commerce retailers should embrace sustainable packaging for a good cause. This eco-friendly approach will lead the whole planet to a better habitat.